When it comes to securing a building, many of my clients are sometimes faced with the dilemma of whether to opt for a traditional physical key to secure the premises or if they should go for a keyless entry.Both methods have their pros and cons, and while there is no right answer as to which is the better option, today we will consider the advantages and disadvantages of using keyless entry locks.
- Higher level of security – Keyless entry locks can offer a higher level of security than your traditional physical key. This is because they don’t depend solely on being locked up with a physical key, but instead incorporate other complex security measures such as biometric locks.
- Easier access control – Keyless entry locks allow you to give access to certain individuals while restricting access to others. This is especially beneficial in businesses, as you can easily track who enters the property and when.
- No more lost keys – With traditional physical keys, it is easy for someone to lose the key and then the hassle begins in finding and replacing a security system. Keyless entry locks help avoid this problem by using a secure form of authentication, such as PIN codes or biometric readings.
- Durability – Keyless entry locks are typically made out of sturdy materials, which makes them highly resistant to damage. This means that you don’t have to worry about broken or damaged keys that could potentially put your security in danger.
- Cost – Keyless entry locks are generally more expensive than traditional physical keys. This means that if you are on a budget, then it might not be the most cost-effective solution for your security needs.
- Installation – Depending on the type of keyless entry lock that you choose, the installation can be quite complicated and may require the help of a professional locksmith.
- Battery Life – Keyless entry locks are powered by batteries, so replacing them is part of the regular maintenance required to ensure that your keyless entry lock is always operational. However, this means that you will need to factor in the cost of battery replacements when deciding which keyless entry lock is best for your security needs.
- Unreliable Connectivity – Some keyless entry locks use wireless technology, which means that they might be prone to intermittent issues due to poor signal strength or interference. This means that it may not always be reliable when you need access.
When it comes to choosing a secure system for your property, there is no one-size-fits-all solution. However, we hope this article has been able to shed some light on the advantages and disadvantages of keyless entry locks to help you make an informed decision on the best security solution for your needs. If you ever have any questions or need some advice, please do not hesitate to give us a call at Locksmith Columbus. Our highly trained technicians are always available to help.
Advantages & Disadvantages of Keyless Entry Locks
At Locksmith Columbus, we understand the importance of feeling secure in your home or business. That’s why we specialize in keyless entry locks that offer many benefits, but also have some drawbacks. In this article we’ll explore the advantages and disadvantages of keyless entry locks so you can make an informed decision when it comes to safeguarding your property.
What Keyless Entry Locks Are
Keyless entry locks are locks that do not require a physical key, but instead use a combination to open. They come in a variety of forms, from biometric readers and keypads to Bluetooth connections and remote control.
Advantages of Keyless Entry Locks
- More secure than traditional locks – Keyless entry locks are seen as more secure than traditional locks, as there’s no risk of someone stealing or copying your key. They’re also harder to pick or break in to.
- Flexible access control – Keyless entry locks give you more control over who has access, and for how long. They can be programmed for a one-off use, or you can give people longer term access. You can also set up zones for different levels of access for family and staff.
- Convenient and efficient – Keyless entry locks are much more convenient than traditional locks, as you don’t have to worry about carrying around a key. You can give each person in your household or office their own access code or remote, so they can open the door without having to worry about finding a key or keeping it safe.
- Easy to use – Keyless entry locks are easier to use than traditional locks, as there’s no need to fumble around for a key. All you have to do is enter your code, swipe your card or tap your smartphone and the door will open.
- Save time and effort – Keyless entry locks can save you time and effort, as you don’t have to worry about replacing lost keys or changing the locks if someone loses their key.
Disadvantages of Keyless Entry Locks
- More expensive than traditional locks – Keyless entry locks are more expensive than traditional locks, and the more complex the lock the higher the cost.
- Increased vulnerability to cyber attack – While keyless entry locks offer a greater level of security, they’re vulnerable to cyber attacks, which could grant hackers access to your property.
- The possibility of code swapping – Some keyless entry locks have a feature which allows a user to swap their code with someone else. This means you could unknowingly grant someone access to your property without your permission.
- Require more maintenance – Keyless entry locks require more regular maintenance than traditional locks, as the batteries in them often need to be changed. This can be a hassle if you have multiple locks.
- Susceptible to interference – Keyless entry locks are susceptible to interference from other wireless devices, which can cause them to malfunction. This can be a problem if you live or work in a heavily populated area.
Keyless entry locks offer many benefits, including greater security, more control over who has access to your property, and convenience. However, there are also some disadvantages to be aware of, such as the cost, increased vulnerability to cyber attack, and maintenance requirements. Ultimately, you’ll have to weigh up these pros and cons and decide which option is best for you.
At Locksmith Columbus, we understand that making the right decision can be difficult. We have a team of certified professionals who can help you find the perfect security solution for your home or business. Give us a call today at (614) 585-8955 or visit us online to find out more about our keyless entry locks, and how we can help you protect your property.