If you’re a business owner, especially in the retail space, then automatic door locks should be a priority for your business. Automatic door locks are most commonly seen in commercial facilities such as retail stores, government buildings, apartment complexes, and office buildings. To keep your business safe, you need to be aware of common door lock issues and ways you can troubleshoot and fix them.
The most common issue with automatic locks is when the door won’t close properly. This can be caused by a number of issues, including a broken latch, a torn or bent latch mechanism, defective hardware, a misaligned door, faulty power to the door, and improper installation. Here are a few things you can do to fix this issue:
Check the Door Latch
The first thing you should do is inspect the latch for any damage. Look for any broken or bent pieces, or if it’s simply stuck or misaligned. If the latch is just stuck, try lubricating it with some WD-40. If it’s broken or bent, then you’ll need to either replace the latch or call a professional locksmith to repair it.
Inspect the Door Itself
The next step is to inspect the door itself. Look for any damage, such as warping or a misaligned door frame. If the door frame is misaligned, then you can either use shims to correct the issue or you can call a professional to come and realign the frame. If the door is warped, then it will need to be replaced.
Inspect the Hardware
If the latch and door are in good shape, then you should check and make sure that the hardware is functioning properly. Check for any loose screws or bolts, or if the mechanism is worn out or failed. If there are any loose screws, then tighten them. If the mechanism is worn out, then you’ll need to either replace it or hire a professional to repair it.
Check the Power Supply
If the latch, door, and hardware are all in working order, then the next step is to check the power supply to the door. Make sure the power cord is plugged in and there is no visible damage. If the cord is damaged, then you’ll need to replace it. You may also want to check the circuit breaker to the door to make sure it’s still functioning.
Check the Installation
Finally, if all of the above steps are completed and you’re still having trouble with the door lock closing properly, then the problem may be with the installation. Make sure the door is properly aligned in the frame, and that the automatic door lock is properly installed. If you’re not sure, you should contact a locksmith to come and inspect the installation and make any necessary adjustments.
Common Automatic Door Lock Issues and Solutions
Automatic door locks are a great way to ensure the safety of your home or business, but they aren’t without their occasional issue. Things can go wrong, errors can be made, and sometimes you just need a little help. This article goes over some of the most common issues that come up with automatic door locks and how to fix them.
The most common issues occur when the automatic door lock isn’t working as it should – either it won’t lock or it won’t unlock. Both of these can have different causes, so it’s important to find out the cause of the issue before trying to fix it.
Lock Won’t Lock
When an automatic door lock won’t lock, the cause usually lies with the lock itself – either something is broken or it has been misaligned. In this case, it is best to call in a locksmith to help identify and fix the problem.
- The Lock May Be Faulty: If your automatic door lock isn’t locking the way it should, it may be a sign that the lock is faulty. In this case, it may be necessary to replace the lock.
- The Lock May Be Misfunctioning: If the automatic door lock isn’t locking due to a programming or mechanism failure, the issue can typically be fixed with a professional locksmith.
- The Lock May Be Out of Alignment: If the door isn’t locking due to misalignment, a locksmith can adjust the lock so that it locks properly.
Lock Won’t Unlock
When an automatic door lock won’t unlock, it is typically due to an issue with the code or the mechanism. It’s important to figure out what is causing the issue before trying to fix it, so as not to accidentally make the problem worse.
- The Wrong Code Is Used: If you are using the wrong code, the lock will not open. In this case, make sure to always use the correct code when unlocking the door.
- The Code Has Been Changed: If you find that the code has been changed, a locksmith can check to see if the code can be reset.
- The Lock Is Faulty: If the lock is faulty, it may need to be replaced. A professional locksmith can evaluate the lock and determine if it needs to be replaced.
- The Lock Is Out of Alignment: If the lock is out of alignment, a locksmith can adjust the lock so that it operates properly.
If your automatic door lock isn’t working as it should, it is important to call in a professional locksmith. Locksmith Columbus is a trusted locksmith in Central Ohio offering quality solutions for any door lock issue you may have. Our experienced locksmiths can help you identify the issue and provide a lasting solution.
Call Locksmith Columbus today at (614) 585-8955. We’re here to help you get back in your home or business safely and securely!