Living in a rental in Louisville should not mean that you miss out on security measures. In fact, renters should be just as careful, if not more careful, when it comes to taking measures to protect their property. To keep you and your loved ones safe here are some helpful home security tips specifically for Louisville Renters.
1. Change the locks upon move-in. This is an essential home security tip for any renter in Louisville. It’s impossible to know what the prior tenants may have duplicated from the existing keys, so play it safe and replace the locks as soon as you move in.
2. Install additional locks on exterior doors. This is a good way to provide yourself with extra security; reinforcing the existing deadbolt with an additional lock is a great way to deter intruders.
3. Install motion activated lighting. Install motion activated lighting around your home and in immediately adjacent areas. This will make any intruder think twice before entering your home. While this is an inexpensive and easy security measure, it is also one of the more effective ones.
4. Engage Neighborhood Watch. If your neighborhood has a neighborhood watch program, make sure you sign up. Together, neighbors can be an effective form of crime prevention in Louisville.
5. Install alarms and surveillance. This is one of the more expensive security measures, but it’s a good idea if you are nervous about intruders. Alarms can alert you, your neighbors and the police when someone is breaking in. Similarly, surveillance cameras can be a great way to watch over your home when you are away.
Living in a rental doesn’t mean you have to settle for subpar security measures – there are plenty of ways that you can protect yourself and your property. Hopefully with these tips, Louisville Renters can enjoy a safe, secure home.