As a homeowner or apartment dweller, it can be stressful trying to figure out the best way to keep your valuables safe. With today’s technology, the options are seemingly endless. But the latest trend for home security is embracing a smarter way to protect your property—smart locks. With a comprehensive overview of what exactly a smart lock is, what types you can buy and install, and bonus additional features, this article is designed to help you weigh the pro and cons of a smart lock and ultimately decide for yourself if it is a worthy investment.
Smart locks are, quite simply, high-tech versions of your basic home lock. Smart locks, unlike traditional locks, are equipped with a number of features—from using your smartphone to unlocking your door, to controlling the lock from anywhere in the world with a connection to the internet, to setting up voice commands. Imagine, while you are away at the store, you can lock your door securely from your smartphone, just by pressing a button. As an added layer of security, you can receive notifications when someone else opens or closes your door.
Though the technology is new and innovative, investing in a smart lock comes with a price tag. Smart locks can range from as low as $70, up to a hefty $300. An investment in a new lock system is one that should be carefully considered. Here is a breakdown of the major features that come with investing in a quality smart lock.
For one, the main way of unlocking your door is through AJAX or ZigBee technology that allows you to unlock your door with your phone or a pre-programmed keychain. In addition, the smart locks come with a variety of add-ons such as a key code access pad, Wi-Fi connection capabilites, Bluetooth, and more. Using your phone and a special app, you can monitor and control your lock remotely, change codes quickly, receive notifications, generate reports, and set up voice commands.
Another important aspect of the smart lock is the installation process. Depending upon how easy the process is, it could be done with some technical know-how. However, if after reading the instructions you are still feeling unsure, a locksmith might be necessary. Installing a smart lock should not be a DIY project.
Lastly, a smart lock is no substitute for a home security system. By its very nature a smart lock does not include an alarm system, security cameras, or motion sensors which can also serve as an excellent deterrent. If you already have a home security system, you can easily link the two to enjoy double the protection.
Making the decision to invest in a smart lock is a personal one. Smart locks offer you control, convenience, fewer distractions, and added security by utilizing wireless communication, phone apps, initiatives, and voice control. But before you decide to make the purchase, consult with a professional locksmith who can help you make the decision. Locksmith Columbus, located in Central Ohio, has a team of professionals who can provide expertise and insight on which type of lock is best for your home. Contact them today at (614) 585-8955 for all your lock needs.
Keeping Your Valuables Safe with Smart Locks: A Comprehensive Overview
When it comes to ensuring the security of your valuables, there really is no room for compromise. You want to rest assured that you and your family are as safe as can be. Smart locks provide one of the most innovative solutions to achieving that sense of security. But what exactly are smart locks? How do they work? Let’s take a look.
At its core, a smart lock is a security system that uses a device that is connected to the internet. Smart locks provide an increased level of security compared to the more traditional methods of a physical lock and key. Depending on their configuration, smart locks can be programmed to recognize different access codes, detect motion sensors, count visitors, or even be unlocked remotely.
For homes or businesses, smart locks offer a range of benefits, including but not limited to:
- Increased security from access being limited to documented user credentials;
- Them being far easier to install than tradtional locks, often only requiring only a one-time fee for the installation;
- Errors resulting from lost or forgotten keys are eliminated;
- The ability to monitor who unlocks the door and when;
- Remote access to the door from a smartphone or wall-mounted console;
- The ability to grant or revoke access quickly and easily; and
- Existing security systems can be interconnected with smart lock systems.
When investing in smart locks, it’s worth noting that there are multiple types and models, each designed with different features depending on the type of security and budget may be needed. In particular, there are three different types of smart locks that are most common:
- Keyless smart locks – also known as app-based locks, their popularity stems from their convenience and ease of use. All users need to do is install a compatible application on their smartphone and they can lock and unlock the door with a single tap on the app. This makes them especially useful for businesses that involve multiple people having access to the premises, including renters.
- Wi-Fi enabled locks – these use wireless technology to lock and unlock doors. They may not offer as much convenience as app-based locks, but they provide businesses with the added security of an independent network, adding a layer of protection against hackers.
- Bluetooth enabled locks – these use Bluetooth technology to connect to users’ smartphones, allowing them to be unlocked without the need for a key. They boast similar convenience to app-based locks, and have the added bonus of being the most affordable type. They also work well with home automation systems.
Alongside the different types of locks, there is also a range of configurations and features that can be put into place, from basic keypads to biometric scanning and more. It’s important to thoroughly research the different types and feature sets to ensure that you select the right lock that meets both your security needs and your budget.
When it comes to installing your smart locks, unless you have the necessary expertise, it’s best to enlist the help of a professional locksmith. Locksmiths are experienced in the installation of smart locks and can provide invaluable advice on the type and configuration that is best suited for you. It’s also worth noting that good locksmiths will also install the lock with the necessary tools and equipment, as well as provide you with after-sales support, helping to ensure that your lock remains secure and trouble-free.
If you’re in the Central Ohio area, then look no further than Locksmith Columbus. Our team of experts offers comprehensive and competent locksmith services, from smart locks installation to key duplication and security systems. We’re the go-to destination for those living in Central Ohio looking to secure their homes and businesses.
Giving you peace of mind is our goal, and we work hard to make sure that your home or business is more than just secure, but also comfortable. With our team of highly-trained and experienced locksmiths, you can rest assured that your valuables are kept safe and secure. Give us a call at (614) 585-8955 today and let’s talk about how we can help you ensure the safety of your valuables.