If you’ve opted to install residential smart locks to bring peace of mind to yourself as a homeowner or as a property manager for apartment buildings or condominiums, then know that you’re on the right track. Smart locks offer convenience and added security, and with the right installation and maintenance, you can avoid any unwelcome guests. Installing your own smart locks is the way to go – let’s walk through a few of the tips to ensure your installation is smooth sailing.
1) Preparation is key – Before you start the installation process, check your door and drill preparation. If you’re swapping out a previously existing lock, remove it and inspect the inside of the door. Make sure the door is free from obstructions, and that the edges are square and clean. Also, check what type of latch your door uses.
2) Determine the type of smart lock you need – Not all residential smart locks are created equal. Before you purchase any, determine what type of lock you have or what type would be best in the situation. Focusing on the size of the door, the backset, and the bore size of your existing hardware are all important factors to consider.
3) Gather safety equipment – Safety equipment is important when installing a lock. Since drilling is often involved, make sure you put on some protective eyewear and hearing protection. You’ll need a power drill and perhaps different types of drill bits. Include a Phillips screwdriver and pair of channel locks in your kit as well.
4) Doing the install – Installing the lock is just as important as the preparation. Since drilling may be part of the process, line up the drill bit with the center of the face plate then go slow and steady. You don’t want to damage the faceplate or the door itself. After you’ve drilled the required pilot holes, use the screws to secure the face plate to the door. Finally, fit and install the new lock, and call it a day!
5) Do a post-install test – Once the installation is done, do a post-install test. Try unlocking, locking, and using all the features that come with your smart lock. Make sure your lock responds and functions correctly.
While it might seem daunting to install a lock yourself, with proper preparation and appropriate safety equipment, you’ll be able to install your smart lock with ease. Take time to measure the door and existing hardware, gather the right safety equipment, and then install the lock meticulously. Remember – safety first and last!
Need a locksmith who’s well-versed in smart lock installation? Looking for extra security for your properties with the latest in locking technology? Locksmith Columbus in Central Ohio is here to answer any of your smart lock installation and maintenance questions. Give us a call at (614) 585-8955 for more information.
Tips for Installing Residential Smart Locks
Are you ready to ditch your old key-based locks for the convenience and security of smart locks? Smart locks are a great way to make you feel secure in your home, and also make it easier for you to grant access to people who need it or let yourself in without a key.
Installing your own smart lock can be daunting at first, but with the right contractor and a bit of knowledge, it’s certainly doable. Here are some tips for installing residential smart locks.
1. Do Your Research
When it comes to smart locks, it’s important to do some research. What kind of lock fits your budget? What types of locks offer the features you need? Do some comparison shopping to make sure you’re getting the best deal.
2. Choose a Professional Locksmith
Although you may be tempted to install your own locks, it’s highly recommended to hire a professional locksmith for the job. Professional locksmiths are experienced and knowledgeable in the installation of all types of locks. They also have access to special tools and can make sure your locks are properly installed and functioning properly.
At Locksmith Columbus, our technicians are well-trained and certified to install residential smart locks. We use the highest quality materials to install your locks to ensure they serve you well and last for years to come.
3. Have a Plan in Place
Before the locksmith arrives, it’s a good idea to prepare the installation area in advance. Have a plan for where the locks will be installed and the tools that will be used, from the drill and screwdrivers to the jigsaw and saw.
4. Get the Right Accessories
Smart locks require a few different components to function properly. In addition to the lock itself, you may need a mounting plate, a strike plate, a power adapter, and a wifi router. Make sure to get the right accessories for the job.
5. Prepare the Door & Frame
No matter what type of locks you have, you need to make sure the door and frame are in good condition before starting the installation. Most smart locks will not work properly if the door or frame is out of alignment. If either is in need of repair, the locksmith can help you remedy the situation or, if necessary, delay the installation until repairs are made.
6. Educate Yourself
Before the locksmith arrives, take some time to research and learn about the features of your locks. Many smart locks come with an app that you can use to control them. You should be sure to familiarize yourself with the app so you can get the most out of your lock and take advantage of all the features it has to offer.
7. Meter the Installation
Once the locksmith has installed the locks, they will need to be programmed. This is usually done using the app you installed on your phone. This process may take a while to complete, so make sure to have the locksmith show you the basics before they leave.
Installing residential smart locks can be tricky, but with a credentialed and experienced locksmith like Locksmith Columbus, you can rest easy knowing that your home is secure. For more information about smart locks or to schedule an installation, call (614) 585-8955 today. We look forward to hearing from you soon!